Wednesday, May 17, 2006

2 Master's?

So I've had a new thought about the PhD/no PhD question. As I mentioned before, I don't much like research, and I think it's because I haven't found something specific for which I am over-the-top passionate. Research, in a non-application purpose, is a little, well, boring. I do like school, and I like aerospace engineering, but I don't know if there is anything I would want to spend 3-4 years working on a PhD on.
But I digress, so back to the new thought. How about 2 Master's? There is a program called Engineering Systems Division, and they have an Engineering Systems Master's degree. I like MIT, and I like taking classes, so why not get two Master's degrees to give me an edge and to get to enjoy it here a little more?

I'm not feeling very talkative tonight, but these are the thoughts on my mind. Of course, I need to find full funding! And that's a whole 'nother worrisome issue.

3 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a tough call, the one thing i would say, if you seriously want to work at NASA for your career, you should suck it up, get the 2 masters AND the PhD...cause NASA is a bunch of arrogant egomaniacs and they dont consider your opinion valid unless you have a PhD....sorry to ruin ur fun hun:(

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Biff said...

And where do you get that idea? I would think differently, and that NASA is very open to having good people in high positions who don't have a PhD. So what tainted your view?

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got my opinion from working some with NASA HQ and from talking to my mentors (one with a phd and 1 with a MS from MIT) about teh culture of NASA. NASA's culture in a lot of ways is similar to that of a prestigious academic institution (like..say MIT...:) not saying it cant be done, but just that the PhD gives u a level of respect from a lot of people u wont get otherwise, cause they are old school....even if YOU are as smart or smarter then them....but, i still like ur idea better, get 2 MS, get some experience, and if u feel you need it in a few years...u can always get it later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home