Friday, March 31, 2006

To PhD or Not

I went to JPL to visit my mentor, Leslie Livesay, who is the Deputy Director of the Astronomy Department and has lots of experience at JPL, including as a systems engineer. Leslie and I have been talking about the fact that I am interested in systems engineering and what it takes to be a project systems engineer at a place like JPL. I have been wondering about whether I should get a PhD -– whether it'’s really necessary for what I am interested in pursuing as a career.
On Monday, I met with the following people at JPL: Hannah Goldberg (recent Master's from UMich), Mimi Aung (Master'’s, considered PhD), Mark Brown (Master's from MIT, systems engineer), Asif Ahmed (Master'’s, formation flying), and John Klein (PhD, research, engineering, and management). Each of these people had a different background, some with a PhD and some not, but each was interested in systems engineering. The basic outcome of these meetings was that it's totally a personal decision, and if it bothers me to not have it, then just do it - what'’s there to lose? A PhD isn't necessary for a systems engineer who is not interested in doing pure technology development or more fundamental research, but there are other benefits. Other thoughts follow.
For systems engineering, there are two main tracks: have knowledge about a specific system, then move up to systems engineering, or start in a systems engineering program (such as Division 31 at JPL). The main perspective was that if someone goes to systems engineering directly, they end up doing paperwork. Also, these people, at JPL at least, aren't as close to the project because the spacecraft building is often contracted out. It seems that the latter track is more aimed to program managers (who do more work on budgets, less technical work, etc.). Program managers sometimes have MBAs, but another option is a systems engineering management/Master's degree. This can be good for the career, but it might not open doors. Project systems engineers, though, tend to have experience in one area then move up the ranks to PSE.
In general, experience matters more than degrees, unless it's in research. On resumes, employees now look more for situational leaders, ability to meet schedules, etc. In addition, try teaching while in school. This is a training guard for managers - it teaches you to explain, have patience, be confident in public speaking, be professional, etc.
Microspacecraft are a good way to get experience in all aspects of a satellite. Someone can focus on a specific subsystem but get to see the whole satellite. You can work in a technical area but have a bigger part in the project to see all aspects. In working on a subsystem, the engineers are closer to the "“action"” because the subsystem work is done in-house. You can get a systems perspective at any level, even if it'’s at the subsystem level. Testing and operations is also an interesting job because you can get good systems experience by trying to figure out anomalies.
At JPL, there is a program called SEA (Systems Engineering Asomething). The applicants work with a project systems engineer, take SE classes, have a mentor, etc. This seems like a cool program to get into systems engineering, but it requires one to work at JPL for a few years, and I imagine other companies have something similar. They also said APL does similar work to JPL, and I should look into the work they do.
A PhD is needed for people doing work as a Principle Investigator, in instrument development, etc. But, to get a PhD, you should have a good idea of what you want to do. Or, a PhD is needed if I ever want to teach at the university level. Some say that having a PhD accelerates your chances into getting into management, even low-level management. A PhD in systems engineering (MDO, logistics) might not lead to a PSE role at JPL. But a PhD gives technical credence and confidence -– you are ok when you don'’t know a solution and need less hand-holding. The question isn't whether you'’re smart enough, but whether you have the guts.

Some things I should ask myself: Can I not be a slave (can I find the right advisor?) Can I be happy being poor? Do other companies have similar thoughts on people with PhDs (Industry, JSC, Aerospace Corp, NRO, etc.)? What does JSC do that I would be interested in? What professors at JPL would I want to do a PhD with? What projects are they working on? What are they like? In the future, can I see myself in a job where I need a PhD?

And the ultimate question: will I be happy with myself not getting a PhD?

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does a PhD give you more guts? Hmmm?
If you do something just to advance your career rather than because it is something you crave, want... (PhD, actor,professional hockey player) then there are no guts involved. If you do something that might not come out but you go for it anyway, you got guts.
As an example, the (to me at least) most successful person in my family, super high paying job, family, lives in paradise... Has an AA degree. But he had the guts to start his own company, put in the effort to succeed, and did it while being an awesome dad.
I hope that at the times I need the guts I will have them. Now I know what my next blog will be about.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry no guts would not be appropiate. Doing anything that is unknown takes guts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home