Friday, July 01, 2005

The least likely candidate for high cholesterol...

...is apparently not me! I had my MIT physical last week, and the blood work came back saying I have high good and bad cholesterol. The doctor told me to go on a "low-fat" diet, and when I tried to explain to him I already eat low-fat, low-cholesterol foods, he wasn't really listening, and told me to cut out the first fatty thing he heard me say - low-fat peanut butter. All 5 grams of fat I get from one tablespoon. Who does he think he's kidding? Since I exercise and eat well, I really can't change all that much. It's most likely hereditary, but it's not bad enough to have to be put on meds yet. It's just an interesting turn of events that I definitely wasn't expecting. I don't know how seriously to take it and whether changing my diet will help at all, but I guess it's better to be safe.

In better news, last weekend was Katie's wedding, and it was most excellent. Jen, Meg, Emily, and I stayed downtown at the Hampton Inn. Katie was gorgeous, of course (pic coming soon), and Charlotte is a cute urban area. After the reception, Meg, Jen, and I (Emily was sadly not feeling well and went home) had a great dinner out on the patio of the main street in downtown Charlotte. We polished off a bottle of wine and chatted about boys, religion, the future, and all those grown-up things we rarely get a chance to cover all in one sitting. Afterwards, we went to a bar called Ri-Ra's, which happened to have a Dave Mathews cover band, so I was happy. Meg tried to teach us proper bar etiquette and flirting rules, and I realized I need to go out more to practice these things. And I need to go out with someone who can teach them to me again. We then went over to a Latin club and salsa-ed and pachata-ed (spelling?) with each other as well as some nice Hispanic men. I got to practice my Spanish, which always makes me happy, and I was happy that I wasn't too nervous to speak to my partners in Spanish. I really do have to get over that first hill, and I'm fine. Overall, a very good night, and even though it's only been a month and a half since graduation, I realized how much I miss those girls! I wish Melissa could have been there. I think I have to admit I'm a little attached to my 207 roommates (ha, that sounds like I have two hundred and seven roommates), and it still hasn't quite set in that you all are not moving to Boston with me! But come visit!

Speaking of Boston, I am getting nervous and excited all at the same time. I'm nervous about everything from moving to decorating to money to classes to research to having time to have fun. But at the same time, I'm excited about each and every one of those things. I wonder if I can finally allow myself to live a little more and worry less about making all "A"s. I mean, I keep telling myself that I want to have fun and explore and meet new people and try new thing, but then I get caught up in the magic of a row of "A"s every semester. Can I change? Should I change? I don't know which one of those is harder for me to answer right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home