Friday, February 06, 2009

Francis Collins' talk: The Language of God

I just got back from a talk by Francis Collins, who was the head of the human genome project, and wrote a book called The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief. I'd seen him speak at MIT about 2 years ago, and I find that my mind works (and not to use hyperbole, but it's true) just like Collins'. He was an agnostic who started looking into faith from a rational perspective, and he was able to come to the conclusion that there is a God, without going against science and logical thoughts. I will not do justice in reiterating his arguments, so here is the lecture if you'd like to take a look (it's long, but it's excellent): http://franciscollinstalk.stanford.edu/video. Or see him on the Colbert Report.

I suppose I like Collins so much because I don't feel so alone in my thoughts when I know someone as intelligent as he is is also thinking the same thing. It's okay to wonder about where we came from, how God got there, what we will evolve into, and pretty much anything else unexplainable through current science. At one point while thinking about all of these issues, I leaned over to Elliot and said "my brain is about to explode." Not 3 minutes later, Collins says "And how do you think my brain doesn't explode?" While we don't have all the answers, it's because all these issues are not contrary to science, and they're not contrary to faith.

The thing is, there is still doubt, of course, which is argued to be an element of faith. I really dislike doubt - it's a cloud that hangs over my head all the time. But it's talks like these that help me understand a little more of my own questioning, and at the same time, a little more of my own faith.

Next up: The awesomeness that was our Breckenridge trip last weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home